The Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu is currently recruiting a Programme Officer. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with experience in Human Rights in the Turkey context and/or Grants, with strong communication and administrative skills, who will play a crucial role in the successful implementation of the project Comprehensive support to Human Rights Defenders in Turkey.
The Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter should be sent by email to recruit@ProtectDefenders.eu before December 1st.
Read the full job description here and below.
Programme Officer: Comprehensive support to Human Rights Defenders in Turkey
In order to deliver an efficient and effective comprehensive support to human rights defenders in Turkey, a Consortium of six leading international NGOs (hereafter “the Turkey Consortium”), has been formed with the support of ProtectDefenders.eu Consortium Secretariat based in Brussels. The members of the Consortium are: International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Front Line Defenders, Reporters Without Borders (RSF), World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) and International Gay and Lesbian Association — Europe (ILGA- Europe).
The Comprehensive support to Human Rights Defenders in Turkey (2019-2022) support human rights defenders in Turkey to protect and promote human rights and fundamental freedoms, with the support of EU fundings. Specifically, this will be achieved through three main components:
— Strengthening the protection of human rights defenders at risk through rapid response measures.
— Supporting human rights organisations to continue to carry out their work through the provision of institutional Support grants and the strengthening of networks at the domestic and international levels.
— Strengthening the capacity of Turkish human rights defenders to document human rights abuses, access justice and advocate for a more enabling environment for HRDs in Turkey.
Purpose of the position:
Under the supervision of the Head of the Secretariat, the Programme Officer will be primarily responsible for managing and reporting on the grants made to provide support to local HRDs/human rights organisations: To consolidate operational capacities of local HRDs organisations; to expand capacities to implement local innovative activities and projects; to support campaigning and advocacy for the protection of HRDs. The Programme Officer will be responsible in ensuring coordination and coherence for the implementation of the activities of the project. The Programme Officer, who will work in close cooperation with the Finance Officer and the Head of Secretariat, will perform the following tasks:
• Manage the single-entry points for the capacity building and core to support human rights organisations.
• Keep a general overview of grants allocated directly by partners to HRDs or as support to local HRDs organizations, ensures sharing of good practises and lessons learnt with the partners;
• Carry out the assessment of grants applications received, before submitting them to the Board for approval following the internal procedures;
• Follow up on the grants awarded, monitoring the status of progress of grants and liaising with stakeholders to receive intermediate and final narrative and financial reports;
• Maintain up-to-date information within related folders and within the database/server.
• Report issues faced in the grant allocation system to the Head of Secretariat and pro-actively suggest solutions;
• Ensure that all grant information is reflected adequately in the database;
• Coordinating the visibility and external communications of the Consortium partners in line with donor requirements;
• Is responsible for the monitoring of the project (collection of information and consolidation of the data related to the indicators) and narrative reporting related to the project (intermediary and final), consolidating the partners narrative reports;
• Liaising with the partners to ensure that the overall project is being performed on time and on schedule, consolidate the workplans;
• Prepare and participate in the monthly Board meetings of the Consortium (including translation of key documents from Turkish to English)
• Support the preparation of annual meetings for the beneficiaries and other advocacy events, including the Secretariat Consortium meetings;
• Collaborate with the Secretariat team in the implementation of the communication strategy, providing contents for promotional materials;
• Provide support and work closely with the finance officer in follow-up of the financial reporting of the grants.
• At least three years of working experience in relevant field
• Experience in managing complex grant programs
• Deep understanding of the needs of human rights defenders at risk
• Experience in working with people from diverse backgrounds
• Ability to work closely with a team and independently
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent English and Turkish (French is an asset)
• Skills in the use of software applications
• Project and management skills
• Database management skills
The Programme Officer will be based in the ProtectDefenders.eu secretariat in Brussels or Belgium. Preferred candidates will have authorization to work in Belgium. The post-holder will receive a gross annual salary of €40 000.
Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter should be sent by email to recruit@ProtectDefenders.eu before December 1st. Early applications are strongly encouraged and the position may close early if the suitable candidate is identified.
The successful candidate will be expected to start work in mid-December if possible for a handover with official start date in January.
Given the project period of the Programme, the initial contract will be until February 2022 with extension possible depending on funding.