The Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu – The EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism is looking for an Program Officer for its current project with the Canadian Government.
This role will have a support responsibility to deliver on the ProtectDefenders.eu partnership with the Government of Canada on their Refugee Stream for Human Rights Defenders 1. The role will support the Canada Program Coordinator, the team and the Secretariat in preparation and submission of applications to the Canadian Government’s resettlement scheme and the relevant follow ups, in full accordance with the values and principles of the ProtectDefenders.eu.
It is a new phase of the program in the organization and as such, the role may develop and change as it is rolled out, based on programmatic needs.
Tasks & General Responsibilities:
The key accountabilities and associated duties include:
1. Support in management of documentation applications, referrals and data base
- Managing and updating the database of incoming and outgoing cases in collaboration and coordination with the partners
- Provide regular input on progress status of cases to the Program Coordinator to enable a timely follow up
- Create and review the supporting documents of HRDs. This includes, but is not limited to, conducting in-depth interviews with applicants, gathering documents, exchanges with partners, among others.
- Support the review of the applications and following up the required edits with the Case Management Consultant or other Interviewing Officer/Case Worker among partners
- Support Case Management Meetings and offer their technical input on the cases at discussion
- Following the operational protocols and data protection policies of the ProtectDefenders.eu at all times
- Ensuring adherence to robust administrative procedures
- Engage with HRDs or partners to directly support them in completing their applications and cases
- Working collaboratively with the ProtectDefenders.eu team and supporting their work and other initiatives as relevant and requested.
2. Analysis & Decision-making
- Assess and verify incoming applications against Refugee Steam eligibility and admissibility criteria;
- Assess and verify incoming cases against the ProtectDefenders.eu vulnerability and priority criteria for resettlement
- Analyze trends in requests/referrals within sociopolitical and geographical contexts according to the collected data in database;
- Respond to the incoming requests and conduct the necessary follow ups to finalize decisions on the requests
3. Measuring Impact
- Providing statistics and required data related to the programme according to the database
- Experience of working 2-4 years in the area of human rights;
- Experience of working with UNHCR or NGOs or on refugee affairs;
- Experience of working with people from different cultural backgrounds;
- Experience of work evaluating risk scenarios in human rights contexts.
- Experience with administrative and finance related work is desired.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills;
- Excellent political analysis and good judgment;
- Excellent reasoning ability;
- Excellent negotiation and diplomacy skills;
- Fluency (written & oral) in English and a second language relevant to the work of HRDs (e.g. Dari/ French/ Spanish/ Arabic/ Russian /Turkish)
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Ability to work with sensitive issues such as forced displacement, trauma, violence and sexual violence.
STARTING DATE & CONDITIONS
- Preferable starting date: January 2024
- The position is based in Brussels and is open to all eligible applicants who are based and have a work permit in the EU region.
- Duration and conditions: the candidate will be offered a one year renewable employment contract.
- Remuneration will be negotiated and agreed upon with the successful candidate, on a competitive scale in the field.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Please send your CV and cover letter (please include information about your availability) before 25-11-2023 by email at email@example.com with the subject:’Canada PO – Your surname’.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Interviews will be held via Skype.
- Early applications are encouraged, as the applications will be screened on a rolling basis and the position might be filled before the deadline.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation