The Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu – The EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism is looking for an Assistant Programme Officer for its current project with the Canadian Government.
This role will have a support responsibility to deliver on the PD.eu partnership with the Government of Canada on their Refugee Stream for Human Rights Defenders. The role will support the Canada Program Coordinator, the team and the Secretariat in preparation and submission of applications to the Canadian Government’s resettlement scheme, in full accordance with the values and principles of the ProtectDefenders.eu. The terms of reference for this position are available for download here.
The purpose of the Canadian Government’s Refugee Stream for Human Rights Defenders is to enable a limited number of HRDs who have had to leave their country due to risks they were facing because of their human rights work and who don’t have access to a durable solution in the host country where they are now living, to have the opportunity to resettle permanently in Canada.
It is a new program and role in the organization and as such, the role may develop and change as it is rolled out, based on programmatic needs.
TASKS & GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
The key accountabilities and associated duties include:
1. Support in management of documentation applications, referrals and data base
• Managing and updating the database of incoming and outgoing cases in collaboration and coordination with the partners
• Provide regular input on progress status of cases to the Program Coordinator to enable a timely follow up
• Assist in creating or reviewing supporting documents of HRDs
• Assist in review of the applications and following up the required edits with the Case Management Consultant or other Interviewing Officer/Case Worker among partners
• Attend Case Management Meetings and offer their technical input on the cases at discussion
• Following the operational protocols and data protection policies of the PD.EU at all times
• Ensuring adherence to robust administrative procedures
• Depending on need, engage with HRDs or partners to directly support them in completing their applications and cases
2. Analysis & Decision-making
• Assess and verify incoming applications against Refugee Steam eligibility and admissibility criteria;
• Assess and verify incoming cases against the UNHCR vulnerability and priority criteria for resettlement
• Analyze trends in requests/referrals within sociopolitical and geographical contexts according to the collected data in database;
3. Measuring Impact
Providing statistics and required data related to the programme according to the database
• Experience of working 2-4 years in the area of human rights;
• Experience of working with UNHCR or NGOs or on refugee affairs;
• Experience of working with people from different cultural backgrounds;
• Excellent organisational and project management skills;
• Excellent political analysis and good judgment;
• Excellent reasoning ability;
• Excellent negotiation and diplomacy skills;
• Fluency (written & oral) in English and a second language relevant to the work of HRDs (e.g. Dari/ French/ Spanish/ Arabic/ Russian /Turkish/ Chinese)
• Excellent relationship building skills.
STARTING DATE & CONDITIONS
• Preferable starting date: ASAP
• The position is meant to work remotely and is open to all eligible applicants from all locations.
• Duration and conditions: the candidate will be offered a 6 months renewable consultancy contract.
• Remuneration will be negotiated and agreed upon with the successful candidate, on a competitive scale in the field.
• The selected candidate should be able to legally declare and pay all taxes on their income from this position, within their country of legal residence.
• Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, please be aware that the ProtectDefenders.eu staff work from home until further notice.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please send your CV and cover letter (please include information about your availability) before 31-03-2022 by email at email@example.com with the subject:
‘Canada APO – Your surname’.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held via Skype.
Early applications are encouraged, as the position might be filled before the deadline!