The Fondation Internationale pour les Défenseurs des Droits de L’Homme (FIDDH), Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu is currently recruiting a Finance Officer. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with some experience in EU funded projects and/or Grants, who will play a crucial role in the successful implementation of the project Comprehensive Support to Human Rights Defenders in Turkey.
Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter (please mention your availability) should be sent by email to recruit@ProtectDefenders.eu by 12 May 2019 (extended deadline).
Read the full job description here and below.
In order to deliver an efficient and effective comprehensive support to Human Rights Defenders (HRDs) in Turkey, a Consortium of five leading international NGOs, with the support of ProtectDefenders.eu Secretariat based in Brussels, has been awarded a grant from the EU to implement a three-year programme. The members of the Turkey Consortium are: International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) – as lead of the Project, Front Line Defenders, Reporters Without Borders (RSF), World Organisation Against Torture Europe (OMCT) and the European Region of the International Lesbian Gay Bisexual Trans and Intersex Association (ILGA-Europe).
The programme will support HRDs with a comprehensive approach to protect and promote human rights and fundamental freedoms in Turkey. Specifically, this will be achieved through three main specific components:
– Strengthening the protection of HRDs at risk through rapid response measures;
– Supporting human rights organisations to continue to carry out their work through the provision of institutional support grants and the strengthening of networks at the domestic and international level;
– Strengthening the capacity of Turkish HRDs to document human right abuses, access to justice and advocate for a more enabling environment for HRDs in Turkey.
Purpose of the position
Under the supervision of the Head of Secretariat and with the assistance of the Programme Officer for the Turkey project, the Finance Officer maintains an effective and accurate financial reporting system for all the activities related to the project Comprehensive support to Human Rights Defenders in Turkey. This includes ensuring that all expenditures are in conformity with the relevant EU guidelines, that records of receipts and other relevant documentation of expenditure are maintained and that the financial reporting to the EU and the relevant audit reports are delivered on time and to the highest professional standards.
Tasks & General Responsibilities
The Finance Officer will:
• Coordinate the financial aspects of the multi-year, multi-partner program in line with EU requirements and the grant contract;
• Process the disbursement of funds in accordance with the agreed schedule;
• Ensure that financial management systems and records are effective and robust;
• Consolidate cash flows, reporting templates, financial plans and amendments throughout the project life;
• Maintain an adequate filing system for all financial and accounting deliverables to ensure ease of access during internal/external audit;
• Monitor budget burn rates and cash-flow projections;
• Recommend appropriate action on any significant variances ( +/-10%) and prepare budget amendments where necessary;
• Prepare the financial accounts for external audit and coordinate audit activities;
• Follow up on timely implementation of the recommendations to remedy significant variances.
• Oversee forward planning and preparation for reporting to EU, adherence with consortium requirements and time-lines, and timely submission of reports by the 5 member organisations;
• Produce integrated financial reports on a timely basis and in line with international accounting standards and EU regulations;
• Finalize yearly accounts and provides any ad-hoc financial reports that may be required;
• Follow up the level of expenditures of the Secretariat's budget in close coordination with the Head of Secretariat;
• Prepare and coordinate each expenditure verification and possible external audit;
• Communicate on a regular basis with the FIDH finance department – sharing information and update FIDH, in particular during the audits, to share remarks and suggestions to improve the system.
Capacity Building and general administrative support:
• Be available to partners to clarify EU financial rules and check compliance of reporting;
• Put forward recommendations when appropriate;
• If needed, undertake support visit to consortium members;
• Participate in consortium meetings to foster compliance and to address any financial issues;
• Ensure that internal audit recommendations for grant-funded projects are adhered to;
• Share lessons learned with consortium members throughout the project's implementation;
• Support in the logistical and administrative organisation of meetings when necessary;
• Have a close relationship with the FIDH, especially with finance department.
– Masters Degree in Finance or Accounting or professional accounting qualification, or three to five years equivalent professional experience;
– Minimum of three years of experience in a finance/accounting role preferably with an international NGO;
– Demonstrated experience in developing and managing large budgets, with preference for previous experience working in a consortium or a network;
– Experience in working on projects funded by major international donors, with preference for previous experience with EU;
– Strong coordination/negotiation skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate among partner organisations:
– Understanding of the security and protection of human rights defenders
– Excellent oral and written English language skills. Fluency in Turkish, French is an asset;
– Strong financial management skills;
– Ability to work towards tight reporting deadlines;
– Strong analytical, interpersonal, communication and organisation skills.
The Finance Officer will be based in ProtectDefenders.eu secretariat in Brussels and would have the necessary permit to work in the EU.
FIDDH values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter (please mention your availability) should be sent by email to recruit@ProtectDefenders.eu before May 3 2019.