The Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu is looking for an experienced financer officer.
Under the supervision of the Head of Secretariat and with the assistance of the other Secretariat staff, the Finance Officer maintains an effective and accurate financial reporting system for all the HRD mechanism activities. Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter should be sent by email to email@example.com by November 26. Interview will take place on November 29 (in person or by Skype). The successful candidate will be expected to start working in December if possible. The initial contract will be up to End of January 2020. The position is expected to be full-time, although a contract at 80% can be discussed.
Read the full job description here.
Tasks & General Responsibilities
The Finance Officer will:
• Coordinate the financial aspects of the multi-state, multi-year, multi-partner program in line with EU requirements and the grant contract.
• Process the disbursement of funds in accordance with the agreed schedule.
• Ensure that financial management systems and records are effective and robust.
• Consolidate cash flows, reporting templates, financial plans and amendments throughout the project life.
• Maintain an adequate filing system for all financial and accounting deliverables to ensure ease of access during internal/external audit.
• Monitor budget burn rates and cash-flow projections.
• Recommend appropriate action on any significant variances ( +/-10%) and prepare budget amendments where necessary.
• Prepare the financial accounts for external audit and coordinate audit activities.
• Follow up on timely implementation of the recommendations to remedy significant variances.
• Oversee forward planning and preparation for reporting to EU, adherence with consortium requirements and time-lines, and timely submission of reports by the 12 member organisations.
• Produce integrated financial reports on a timely basis and in line with international accounting standards and EU regulations.
• Finalize yearly accounts and provides any ad-hoc financial reports that may be required.
• Ensure that all consortium members submit accurate timesheets.
Financial and administrative management of Secretariat managed activities:
• Ensure the daily accountancy of the Secretariat
• Follow up the level of expenditures of the Secretariat's budget in close coordination with the Head of Secretariat
• Ensure that all Human Resources procedures under Belgian Law are observed and carry out payment of salaries to the Secretariat staff.
• Ensure financial management of inter-mechanisms meetings, core group meeting, foundation meetings and consortium meetings.
• Be available to partners to clarify EU financial rules and check compliance of reporting.
• Put forward recommendations when appropriate.
• If needed, undertake support visit to consortium members.
• Participate in consortium meetings to foster compliance and to address any financial issues.
• Ensure that internal audit recommendations for grant-funded projects are adhered to.
• Share lessons learned with consortium members throughout the project's implementation.
General administrative and logistic support:
• Support in the logistical and administrative organisation of meetings when necessary.
• Ensure supply of stationery and necessary equipment for the Secretariat in coordination with other staff members.
• Perform other administrative tasks if needed.
Ensures timely communication with the Head of Secretariat regarding eventual problems and possible solutions.
• Masters Degree in Finance or Accounting or professional accounting qualification
• Minimum of five years of experience in a finance/accounting role preferably with an international NGO.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and managing large budgets, with preference for previous experience working in a consortium or a network.
• Demonstrated experience with accounting in Belgium.
• Considerable experience of successfully managing the implementation of complex projects.
• Experience in working on projects funded by major international donors, with preference for previous experience with EU.
• Strong coordination/negotiation skills specifically with the ability to effectively coordinate among partner organisations.
• Understanding of the security and protection of human rights defenders around the world.
• Excellent oral and written English and French language skills
• Strong financial management skills
• Ability to work towards tight reporting deadlines
• Strong analytical, interpersonal, communication and organisation skills.
The Finance Officer should have the necessary permit to work in the EU. The Finance Officer will be based in ProtectDefenders.eu secretariat in Brussels. The gross annual salary for the position is €45 080 (full-time).
Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 26. Interview will take place on November 29 (in person or by Skype). The successful candidate will be expected to start working in December if possible. The initial contract will be up to End of January 2020. The position is expected to be full-time, although a contract at 80% can be discussed.