ProtectDefenders.eu – The EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism is looking for a 'Programmes and Communication' intern.
Based at the Secretariat's office in Brussels, the intern will work in support to the different file-holders and under the overall supervision of the Head of Secretariat.
He/She will carry out a variety of tasks related to the purposes of the EU HRD Mechanism coordination and implementation, what will provide an opportunity for learning and achieving relevant work experience in the field of human rights at global and EU levels.
Tasks & General Responsibilities:
- Allocation of grants: Temporary Relocation of Human Rights Defenders & Emergency Grants for Human Rights Defenders
- Carry out the first assessment of grants applications received, preparing summaries to be submitted to the Grants Coordinator;
- Contact references that endorse the grants application, in order to gather relevant information that validate the applications' credibility (background analysis, security analysis, need of immediate support);
- Participate in meetings with the Grants Coordinator, preparing summary and briefing notes;
- Follow up on the grants awarded, monitoring the status of progress of grants and liaising with stakeholders to receive intermediate and final narrative and financial reports;
- Maintain up-to-date information within related folders and database.
Communication and Advocacy
- Support the overall communication, advocacy and monitoring programmes and initiatives developed by the secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu, in collaboration with the Communication and Reporting Officer;
- Support the coordination of actions and campaigns of visibility concerning the situation of HRDs worldwide.
- Support the coordination and preparation of the Annual Meetings of ProtectDefenders.eu, to be held in early November 2017.
- Ongoing studies (master's degree) in law, international relations, social sciences or related field. Experience in human rights would be an asset.
- Knowledge of EU institutions, UN procedures and regional mechanisms for the protection of human rights would be an asset.
- Good drafting and editing skills.
- Ability to adapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a multicultural team.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Fluency in English and French, oral and written.
- Fluency in Spanish, Arabic or Russian would be an asset.
STARTING DATE & CONDITIONS
- Preferrable starting date: 1st of August 2017.
- Duration: 3 months minimum.
- Conditions : Internship agreement with University is required. Alternatively, a voluntary agreement may be signed. Please note that this is an unpaid position. However, ProtectDefenders.eu shall provide reimbursement of transportation expenses and meals.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Please send your CV and cover letter (please include information about your availability) before July 10th by email to: Joan Audierne, Head of Secretariat, email@example.com with the subject : 'Internship'.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Interviews will be held in our office in Brussels or via Skype
INFORMATION ABOUT PROTECTDEFENDERS.EU
ProtectDefenders.eu is the European Union Human Rights Defenders mechanism, established to protect defenders at high risk and facing the most difficult situations worldwide.
• Operates a permanent and rapid response mechanism to provide emergency support and material assistance to Human Rights Defenders in danger, their families and their work.
• Manages a support programme of temporary relocation for Human Rights Defenders at risk to relocate inside their country, within their region or abroad in case of urgent threat.
• Supports and coordinates an exchange platform for organisations and stakeholders working on temporary relocation for Human Rights Defenders, including through the EU temporary relocation platform.
• Provides training, support and capacity building to Human Rights Defenders and local organisations.
• Monitors the situation of human rights defenders and advocates for a protection agenda for Human Rights Defenders at local, regional and international level.
• Promotes coordination between organisations dedicated to support for Human Rights Defenders, EU institutions and other relevant actors.
The implementation of ProtectDefenders.eu is led by a Consortium of 12 NGOs active in the field of Human Rights, namely Front Line Defenders, Reporters Without Borders (RSF), World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Economic, Social and Cultural Rights Network (ESCR-Net), International Gay and Lesbian Association (ILGA), Urgent Action Fund for Women's Human Rights (UAF), Protection International (PI), Peace Brigades International (PBI), Euro-Mediterranean Foundation of Support to Human Rights Defenders (EMHRF), Forum Asia and East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP).
ProtectDefenders.eu is coordinated by an independent Secretariat based in Brussels.