The Fondation Internationale pour les Défenseurs des Droits de L’Homme (FIDDH), Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu is recruiting a Coordinator of the EU Temporary Relocation Platform.
Applications comprising a CV with at least two references and a cover letter should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 25 October. Please write in the subject of the email the position you are applying for + your surname: “EUTRP Coordinator – Applicant’s surname”. Early applications are welcome since the successful candidate is expected to start work in November, if possible.
The EU HRD Mechanism
A consortium of 12 international NGOs have won the contract to renew the implementation of the EU Human Rights Defenders Mechanism. The members of the Consortium are: Front Line Defenders, Reporters Without Borders (RSF), World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT), International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH), Economic, Social and Cultural Rights Network (ESCR-Net), International Gay and Lesbian Association (ILGA), Urgent Action Fund for Women Human Rights Defenders (UAF), Protection International, Peace Brigades International (PBI), Euro-Mediterranean Foundation of Support to Human Rights Defenders (EMHRF), Forum Asia and East and Horn of Africa Human Rights Defenders Project (EHAHRDP). Front Line Defenders, RSF, OMCT and FIDH will form the Board of the Consortium. A Secretariat has been established operating in Brussels for the past four years to coordinate the implementation of the EU HRD Mechanism, which began operations on 1st October 2015 and it is now renew for three additional years starting on 1 November 2019.
For more information on the programme, please visit our website:
Purpose of the position
Under the supervision and management of the Head of Secretariat and with the assistance of the other personnel employed for the purposes of HRD Mechanism: he/she ensures the effective coordination, development and animation of the EU Temporary Relocation Platform (EUTRP). This will include maintaining a communication platform between host institutions in order to share learnings, develop capacity and good practice, and coordinate effective responses to HRDs in need of temporary relocation. The Coordinator will work in close consultation with the members of the EUTRP and seek to establish guidelines on best practice as well as to expand the number of potential host institutions, particularly in the different global regions.
The Coordinator will be in charge of developing and implementing the grant programme to enhance shelters primarily at local and regional level in various ways, including: i) By providing direct material and financial support to new and emerging shelter programmes to develop and strengthen their capacity to deliver effective temporary relocation through a call for proposals. ii) Providing advise and expertise with the support of the consortium members and the EUTRP members and facilitating networking opportunities and knowledge-sharing among relocations initiatives.
According to the seniority and previous experiences of the candidate, the EUTRP coordinator might also coordinate the Programme Team at the Secretariat composed of two grant officers and one programme officer. In this role, under the supervision of the Head of Secretariat, the EUTRP coordinator should promote learning and knowledge sharing in the team; contribute to and review activities and reports for donors; support the team members identifying training needs and opportunities; and coordinating the organisation of the work in the team.
Tasks & General Responsibilities:
• Develops and implements a strategy for the development of the EUTRP, under the guidance of the Head of Secretariat, and in consultation with EUTRP members;
• In close consultation with EUTRP members, improves related procedures and guidelines as well a monitoring tools;
• Undertakes research on topics related to the support of HRDs undergoing temporary relocation in order to share lessons learnt and strengthen capacity;
• Animates and documents discussion between HRDs and members of the EUTRP including through organising the annual meeting of the EUTRP;
• Reports issues faced in the Platform functioning to HoS and suggests proactively solutions;
• Reviews the dedicated internet website and suggest necessary adjustments; ensures that the required visibility is given to the EUTRP on the mechanism website and with relevant stakeholders;
• Is in charge of the reporting related to the EUTRP;
• Develops a grant programme in support of shelters and relocation initiatives at the local and regional level;
• Is in charge of the implementation of the grant programme in support to shelter throughout all the phases of the support: application, implementation and reporting.
• Coordinates closely with the grant officers to keep a general overview of the grants allocated for temporary relocation
• Coordinate with the consortium members and external experts researches and studies on specific topics;
• If relevant according to seniority, previous experiences and competences:
? Coordinates the organisation of the work in the Programme Team;
? Promote a learning and knowledge sharing culture across the programme team;
? Support the team members identifying training needs and opportunities;
? Contribute to the contents including review of public and in-house reporting.
• A degree in law, political science, management or related fields;
• At least eight years of working experience in the NGO sector or international/regional organisations with a focus on human rights;
• Significant expertise in the fields of human rights defenders and relocation programmes;
• Experience in coordinating with diverse stakeholders, preferably within a platform/network;
• Experience in creating and maintaining partnerships at international level;
• Research and M&E experience;
• Experience and passion for leading and managing teams of culturally diverse staff, including team development is an asset.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
• Knowledge of other languages, in particular Spanish and/or French;
• Good organizational skills, with strong experience in organizing and facilitating meetings
The Coordinator of the EUTRP will be based in the HRD Mechanism's secretariat in Brussels and the role will involve frequent international travel to meet with host institutions. The post-holder will receive an indicative gross annual salary of €45 000, which might be adjust according to seniority and level of responsibility.