The Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu – The EU Human Rights Defenders mechanism is looking for three Program Assistants (Case Management) for its current project with the Canadian Government.
This role will have a support responsibility to deliver on the ProtectDefenders.eu partnership with the Government of Canada on their Refugee Stream for Human Rights Defenders. The role will support the Canada Program Coordinator, the team and the Secretariat in preparation and submission of applications to the Canadian Government’s resettlement scheme, in full accordance with the values and principles of the ProtectDefenders.eu.
It is a new phase of the program in the organization and as such, the role may develop and change as it is rolled out, based on programmatic needs.
Tasks & General Responsibilities:
The key accountability and associated duties include:
1. Management of applications and documentation
- Reaching out to/respond to and work with HRDs to help them understand and go through the application process;
- Advise, or support HRDs in filling and editing their visa application forms;
- Work with HRDs to gather and submit their supporting documents; This includes, but is not limited to, conducting in-depth interviews with applicants, gathering documents, exchanges with partners, among others.
- Liaise and work with the Program Coordinator for review of the cases;
- Cross checking and review of the cases with HRDs after feedback of the Program Coordinator;
- Ensure that the applications adhere to the criteria for resettlement and are as comprehensive as possible;
- Managing the recording and tracking of applications using the tools created in the program,
- Following the operational protocols and data protection policies of the ProtectDefenders.eu at all times
- Being the dedicated focal point for communication with HRDs
- Possible collaboration with referral partners for technical exchange and consistency
- Working with the Program Coordinator to submit all application on time and apply the necessary reviews
- Working with utmost objectivity and professionalism with all HRDs of different backgrounds to document and submit their applications and/or support them in the process.
- Working collaboratively with the ProtectDefenders.eu team and supporting their work and other initiatives as relevant and requested.
3. Measuring Impact
- Providing monthly reports to the Program team on progress and individual cases status
- Providing information on trends, statistics and achieved results in terms of protection of HRDs;
- Experience of working a minimum of 2 years in the area of human rights;
- Understanding of and experience with the context and human rights sphere of Afghanistan;
- Experience of working successfully with people from diverse cultural backgrounds;
- Experience of working as a Case Worker in similar processes highly desired;
- Experience with UNHCR or INGOs or on refugee affairs is highly desired;
- Ability to work with sensitive issues such as forced displacement, trauma, violence and sexual violence.
- Experience of work evaluating risk scenarios in human rights contexts.
- Experience with administrative and finance related work is desired.
- Excellent organizational and task management skills;
- Strong political analysis and good judgment;
- Strong reasoning ability;
- Fluency (written & oral) in English and a second language relevant to the work of HRDs (e.g. Dari/ French/ Spanish/ Arabic/ Russian /Turkish)
- Excellent attention to details
- Passionate and empathetic towards the project at hand
STARTING DATE & CONDITIONS
- Preferable starting date: January 2024
- The position is based in Brussels and is open to all eligible applicants who are based and have a work permit in the EU region.
- Duration and conditions: the candidate will be offered a one year renewable employment contract.
- Remuneration will be negotiated and agreed upon with the successful candidate, on a competitive scale in the field.
HOW TO APPLY?
- Please send your CV and cover letter (please include information about your availability) before 25-11-2023 by email at email@example.com with the subject: ‘Canada PACM – Your surname’.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will be held via Skype.
- Early applications are encouraged, as the applications will be screened on a rolling basis and the position might be filled before the deadline.
- Any offer made to the candidates in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.